Thursday, April 29, 2010

72 HOUR RULE: BE A GOOD NEIGHBOR

Galatians 6:8-10
8 For he that soweth unto his own flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth unto the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap eternal life.
9 And let us not be weary in well-doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.
10 So then, as we have opportunity, let us work that which is good toward all men, and especially toward them that are of the household of the faith
My husband is such a good neighbor, sometimes I can't stand it. But then I try to learn from him. Today  he is helping a church member re-build his transmission. My husband is still in physical therapy for his post-op shoulder surgery, but he says that he will allow our brethren to learn and do all the physical stuff. The scripture tells us that there "must needs be an opposition" in all things. Some good friends and fellow church members have an extra vehicle and they would love to "gift" this vehicle to our friend so that he would not have to go to the considerable expense of over-hauling and rebuilding and ultimately going over budget. He said no thanks. I suppose that he doesn't want to be "be-holding to anyone". I am sure that this could be an answered prayer on "call-waiting". Just waiting for this brother to recognize it.
My brakes are squeaking and grinding and soon I may have to ride the metro to work. I asked my husband if he would call an old friend of his who is a mechanic and ask if we could make an appointment to have my brakes fixed. We started leaving messages last week, so far no return calls. We offered to pay in cash, no call back. I am starting to believe that the more technologically advanced we become, the less friendly we are to one another. The more impersonal we are, that we screen calls of friends and families, even our brethren in church. There seems to be an on-going joke(?) in church that no one gives their real phone numbers anymore. Sad. We miss opportunities to get to know one another, to love our brethren. Its easy to open an email and delete it from an old friend, but yet some search out old friends on Face book. I digress.
So I (finally) organized my address book and I put in new listings. Now this is an "old school" address book, one that uses paper and pen. I bought some cards to mail out to my friends in the book. Boy will they be surprised. Everyone loves getting personal mail, don't they.
I am working to be a good neighbor. Yesterday my VT came over to visit and gave me a plate of food for dinner. I asked her what was that for, she said, just because. So I guess I can do the same to someone in need. I have a neighbor who always helps us to shove snow and  is really nice. He lives with several other people in a house, but he doesn't cook much. Maybe I should make him a plate of dinner? I think I will.       

3 comments:

Alicia said...

I sometimes get frustrated at how impersonal things are becoming too. I love receiving a simple handwritten letter in the mail!!! It never happens these days. It sounds like you have some good neighbors. I hope you are able to find someone to help you with your car though, ya gotta have breaks :0

Alicia said...

I meant brakes.... lol... but you gotta have breaks too :)

Ramona Gordy said...

Hi Alica
Its good to hear from you. I am learning that we all gotta work out our own salvation, and even though the actions of others can be maddening,and will get on your nerves, we must do our thing and pray for our brethern and never miss an opportunity to do good.
Ramona