Monday, April 12, 2010

72 Hour Rule: Organizing Myself

Cleaning out my Closet, Boldly Going Where no woman wants to Go 

So, I cleaned out my closet this past Saturday. I am on a  recon mission to find the floor of said closet.The Hurricane season is upon us and what does this have to do with  a messy closet ? Plenty. I have a lot of housework to do,and it is so overwhelming, the closet is the path to least resistance. I have decided to ruthlessly go through my stuff and keep what I need and donate the rest. As I was going through my clothes, the awful truth reared its ugly head, I really need to measure myself before I purchase any more clothing.Seriously. I packed up 3 large trash bags of clothing and theres more but I don't want to be rash. None of these clothes really fit well,nor do they have any practical value and they don't fit well. Thus the need to measure myself,and  find a size that corresponds to that  number and then find clothes in that number. Its interesting to note that we as a society are dictated to by numbers, and labels; whatever. Serious eating disorders are perpetrated by the need to wear a jean in a single digit. It is so bad, that there are whole shopping sites devoted to this elusive weight number. I really need to measure my self because a few important items need to be re sized. Maybe I did put on a few pounds, but I think the sizing issue is due to an unrealized sense of self and body image. I know in another life I was Clueless, so I will forgo any blond jokes. I cleaned out my craft closet too and as I was going through my sewing patterns, I decided to measure myself . Objects in the mirror really are larger than I thought. So I started a donate pile and the sad thing is that I have been buying the same sized pattern for a while now,without ever measuring myself. I do know that the sizes on the sewing pattern are different from the sizes on store bought clothing.It occurred to me that I may need to re-educate myself on sewing.I have sewn all my life, except for the last 10 years because I haven't been able to organize and sometimes get into my craft room. This is a sad state of affairs, but then this is the learning process.
What has this to do with the Hurricane season. It has to do with preparing for every needful thing. I must complete the compiling of an  portable emergency kit for my husband and myself and the dog. I need one for work too. At least 75% of my day and my husbands day is spent at work. I work in a place where the immediate needs of the employee can be neglected in favor of other things, such as food,shelter,etc. In my mind this is a big list,and it might be an even larger project, but I feel that Heavenly Father has a plan and I can conform myself to it and just do it, room by room.closet by closet. I get the impression that we no longer have the luxury to "do it tomorrow". We can't wait anymore for the perfect moment, its now. I look at the news showing various places around the world experiencing earthquakes and tsunami's; fires and mudslides. Everyday we are urged to be prepared. Prepare for bad weather, gas price increase,food price increase,etc.

D&C 109: 8 Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing, and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God.

Now for the good news,
D&C 38:30 I tell you these things because of your prayers; wherefore, treasure up wisdom in your bosoms, lest the wickedness of men reveal these things unto you by their wickedness, in a manner which shall speak in your ears with a voice louder than that which shall shake the earth; but if ye are prepared ye shall not fear.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Organized is one thing I'm not. It seems to me my new years resolution every year. But like you said it's not just a matter of order, it's a matter of being prepared. Things just go more smoothly that way.
Take care Ramona!