Friday, May 28, 2010

BECOMING A ZION PEOPLE

Jeremiah 17:7
BECOMING  A ZION PEOPLE

 A goal without a plan is just a wish."
~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery

‘Where there is no vision, the people perish’ ("Prov. 29:18).”

A really good friend of mine sent me an email this morning, she said:
"I am giving a talk in Sacrament meeting on Sunday about ZION" It is based on Moses 7:18 and Doctrine and Covenants 6:6-8. I would love to hear some of your thoughts and insights on this topic in preparation for my talk."
Wow,she was  asking me about Zion? Am I at the stage where I should know about Zion? Is this in the "Converts to LDS for Dummies" book? I suppose it would have been easier for me  to expound on climbing Mt Everest. I thought to myself "Why would she think that I would know what Zion is?" I don't think that we have had much reference in Sunday school on that. How about I listen to the promptings of the Holy Spirit and he shall bring all things to my remembrance.

 John 14: 26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.     So this is what came to my mind, to my remembrance:
What is Zion? Or rather who are they that will come to Zion, to live and work in Zion. Who is Zion? How do you find it?Seek: 
*Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
How do you seek the kingdom, what must I do?
*Doctrine and Covenants 6:6 says first to obey my commandments; and in obeying His commandments, we seek to bring it forth and then to establish it.
Seek Wisdom:
*Proverbs 24: 3 through wisdom is a house builded; and by understanding it is established:
*Proverbs 3: 13  Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding
How do you bring it forth? How is Zion established? How do we become a Zion people?
• they were of one heart
• of one mind
• dwelt in righteousness
• many  have believed in my name
• one heart to do the commandment
• them that believed were of one heart
• one soul
• they had all things common
• be like minded
• Each person esteems the other better than themselves.(meekness)
• Each having the same love (the love of Christ) toward one another

MOSES 7:18 And the Lord called his people ZION, because they were of one heart and one mind, and dwelt in righteousness; and there was no poor among them. (D&C 6:7-8)

Doctrine and Covenants 38: 4 I am the same which have taken the Zion of Enoch into mine own bosom; and verily, I say, even as many as have believed in my name, for I am Christ, and in mine own name, by the virtue of the blood which I have spilt, have I pleaded before the Father for them.
2 Chronicles 30: 12. Also in Judah the hand of God was to give them one heart to do the commandment of the king and of the princes, by the word of the LORD.
Acts 4: 32 (31-32)
32 And the multitude of them that believed was of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.
Philippians 2: 1-4.

1 If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies,
2 Fulfill ye my joy, that ye be like minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.
3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.
4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
Doctrine and Covenants 6:6-8
6 Now, as you have asked, behold, I say unto you, keep my commandments, and seek to bring forth and establish the cause of Zion;
7 Seek not for riches but for wisdom, and behold, the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto you, and then shall you be made rich. Behold, he that hath eternal life is rich.
8 Verily, verily, I say unto you, even as you desire of me so it shall be unto you; and if you desire, you shall be the means of doing much good in this generation.

It is interesting to note that my husband  and I were talking about Joseph Smith and his desire to have Zion on Earth, as Enoch did. At least that's what we understood. It is the goal of the Church of Latter Day saints to work toward that goal? Is it not?
We were talking about becoming a Zion people in Sunday school, and of course everyone thought that we have a long way to go. But, I feel that we may underestimate ourselves. I was watching a movie about President Hinckley that focused on all of the temples that were constructed during his "administration". It was awesome. I was so surprised and then touched at the activities that were organized to celebrate these temples,and of  the testimonies of  all of the people, just regular, ordinary people who share one common belief in the Heavenly Father, in the Savior and the power of the Holy Spirit. They believe in the prophet and that he is Gods representative on earth. They believe in what they are doing and that it has a purpose.I was especially moved concerning the people of Ghana.They waited for a long time for a temple,even for the church to establish itself there. But the people were ready, and they were one in heart and believing. So I guess you could say that the people of Ghana were a Zion people, preparing themselves for the word of God.
 People are getting their family histories organized,the hearts of the fathers turning to their sons. I recently started to read a book written by  President Hinkley, called, "Standing for Something" concerning 10 overlooked virtues that  would help to heal our hearts and homes. I read an article about the Missionaries in D.C. and how much they have done here. For some reason, I thought that DC/Md/Va was tapped out. Not so,the word of God does not go out void. For many who hunger and thirst for righteousness shall be fed. So Zion is a closer reality than we can imagine or think. I believe that we are endeavoring to become a Zion people.

3 comments:

Alicia said...

Wow cool Ramona! I think your friend called the right person to learn some things about Zion :)

Michaela Stephens said...

Some of our best learning experiences are when we are asked to share our thoughts on a topic, give a talk in church, or teach a lesson. It reminds us how little we know, and then we go searching and find out about it.

Your choice of scriptures and the experiences you share are very effective for this topic. In particular, your experiences were very touching. (We long-time members have a tendency to forget how far we've come in our striving for what still needs to be accomplished.)

Ramona Gordy said...

Thank you Michaela for your encouraging words, thanks for stopping by