Thursday, July 29, 2010

72-HOUR RULE: HEATWAVES & EARTHQUAKES,TORNADO'S OH MY!!

Doctrine & Covenants 38:30
BUT; IF YE ARE PREPARED YE SHALL NOT FEAR
This past Sunday, our neighborhood was visited by a "sudden change" of weather, resulting in a Tornado. This thing blew by so fast, the weather service people couldn't rate it and they were sounding the alarm after it had dissipated.Of course it left a lot of trees and wires down and people are just now getting full power back. A few weeks back we had a small earthquake,most people slept through that. Something about the word small in relation to the earth doesn't add up.These past two "natural" events have caused me to review my preparedness efforts. I must say that since I started this blog and my efforts to "build up"a proper amount of food, I have had a few opportunities to utilize the food storage I have accumulated. My husband recently returned to work after being out 7 months due to a serious shoulder injury that required surgery. During that time my income was our main source and a small insurance check from his employer. Of course we had to endure the "Blizz-Armageddon" this past winter. I live here on the Mid-Atlantic portion of the east coast. I have lived here for 20 years and I think that I have experienced at least 3 winters that qualified for "Winter/storm etc of the Century". The good news was that the power stayed on in our neighborhood, even cable (lol). It is interesting to note that regardless of how technologically advanced our cultures become,we can only predict the weather as it applies to a continuous pattern. We can't predict earthquakes, and even if we stop using plastic all together, the sun will still be hot in the summer, and be unbearable.
I have heard a lot of my friends comment on how fast time is moving, how weird the world is,how this and how that. Someone at work even commented on this might be; perish the thought, "The End Of Days". Oh my goodness. On the radio, the radioevangilsts are stepping up their "Get right before its too late doctrine". My poor brother even asked my mom if she was "right with Jesus".

So in light of all of this, I have endeavored to make an assessment of my preparedness effort and the results. A friend of mine, who has been enduring her own personal trials,said this to me;"Aren't you glad that your husband has gone back to work,now you can have more of your check.?" She wondered  how I have endured without becoming overwhelmed. I wondered how she could say that with a straight face, but something kicked in for me, I said," I have no complaints, all of our bills were paid on time,none of our utilities were turned off, no repossessions of cars, no foreclosure on our home, my husband's boss held his job, we had food to eat and more to share with our neighbors. We had enough money to meet our needs and then help out a neighbor." I look back and see that in our trials, our life changed for the better. 

I learned that the meaning of prepare in Hebrew is to "stand at attention" in order to receive instruction. It also means to position ourselves in a way,physically and mentally and spiritually that we are able to "listen and then obey the counsel of the Lord.
By doing the outward acts of preparing,storing food,organizing important papers,etc,we are preparing our hearts to trust in the Lord.By trusting in Him we acknowledge that with out Him we are nothing.
Ezra 7:10 (Amplified Bible)

10For Ezra had prepared and set his heart to seek the Law of the Lord [to inquire for it and of it, to require and yearn for it], and to do and teach in Israel its statutes and its ordinances
Doctrine & Covenants 88.
119 Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God;
Doctrine & Covenants 136:
31 My people must be tried in all things, that they may be prepared to receive the glory that I have for them, even the glory of Zion; and he that will not bear chastisement is not worthy of my kingdom.
Doctrine & Covenants 38:
30 I tell you these things because of your prayers; wherefore, treasure up wisdom in your bosoms, lest the wickedness of men reveal these things unto you by their wickedness, in a manner which shall speak in your ears with a voice louder than that which shall shake the earth; but if ye are prepared ye shall not fear

2 comments:

Alicia said...

That's really cool Ramona! You have such a good attitude about it all. I'm glad your husband is able to go back to work but even more glad you were able to make it through that financial storm. Some of our best times have been when we have to be "creative" with what little money we have. I also know that the promises in Malachi are TRUE! It's amazing how when we do our very best, give our tenth to the Lord, pay our offerings it seems we have more, SO MUCH more!

I could definately do better getting my emergency kits together. Our first aid has only a few bandaids and neosporin. I can't believe you've been through an earthquake and a tornado in just a few weeks. It's a reminder to me to be more prepared.

Thanks for your example.
God bless you my sister!

Ramona Gordy said...

Hi Alicia
Thanks for stopping by. I am in awe of the mercy and loving kindness of our Father in Heaven. I realize how tiny we are, but we are endowed with biggness in his love.
We are blessed.
Have a great day, love your new picture.
Rgg