Wednesday, April 13, 2011

 

It's my birthday; or rather April 15 is my "appointed day". This year on my birthday I will be having minor surgery on my knee.Some one asked why I would schedule surgery on my birthday. Truthfully, I never thought about it that way. When I mention the date, most people say "Oh you were born on tax day, well tax day has been officially moved to the 18th. (The stigma still remains).
I remember my last birthday, one that I considered a personal milestone, my 50th. However that one totally fizzled and was a great disappointment. I am sure I wanted some king of party, maybe a surprise party. I made a gift list, even a favorite restaurant list. Nothing, even my best friend forgot me. The highlight of that day was having dinner at a restaurant called Carrabas. The waiter was so nice, he brought out a birthday sundae (I am horribly lactose intolerant) and he and my husband sang the sweetest happy birthday song to me.
How can you top that? This year has been so full of "busyness" and trials and afflictions, I have forgotten about me. Isn't that what we are supposed to do? I have endeavored to overcome the Ego in favor of the Id.

I have searched the scriptures to find out if "birthdays" are celebrated. Of course I found two records that actually said "birthday".
Genesis 40:20 now it came to pass on the third day, which was Pharaoh’s birthday, that he made a feast for all his servants….
Matthew 14:6 But when Herod’s birthday was celebrated, the daughter of Herodias danced before them and pleased Herod
Mark 6: Then an opportune day came when Herod on his birthday gave a feast for his nobles, the high officers, and the chief men of Galilee.
These parties ended badly,and it is interesting to note that each birthday boy received a gift of someone's head on a platter. In the book of Job, there is a mention of an "appointed day". It seems that Jobs son's had planned festivities on this day and invited their siblings to eat with them.
Job 1:4 4 And his sons would go and feast in their houses, each on his appointed day, and would send and invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them.
It seems that party ended badly also. This could also explain why most parties I gave for myself ended not as I had hoped. I must say that 2 birthday parties stand out to me.
The first party was when I turned the grand old age of 7. I remember asking my mom for a piñata, a pin the tail on the donkey game and of course the required chocolate cake. My mom granted all of my wishes, including inviting some friends from school and the neighborhood. I shared this party with a cousin whose birthday is a day after mine. My mom, ever the diplomat, baked not one chocolate cake but two; one for me and my cousin. She also baked a special white cake for my brother, who was born in January. Sounds like a great party. It was great up until the candles were blown out and we took turns at the piñata. It was really a paper bag of candy that we tied to a tree and took turns flailing away at it with a big stick. I am sure that anyone who has had a piñata knows the ending to this story. It ends badly. Next we tried to encourage everyone to play pin the tail on the donkey. We couldn't pin the tail on that donkeys butt, with our eyes open. (We blind folded all players and spun them around.). Of course after about an hour, everyone was cranky including my mother, who put a stop to the party. I know you're asking, how can she remember all of that stuff? Believe me, I hoard memories.
My second memory of the best "Birthday Party Ever" was when I turned 25. (This was the party I should have had when I turned 21, but I couldn't get the day off). My then very best friend on the planet threw me a surprise party, that I organized my self. It really was a surprise. I was in the Navy at the time, and of course I had duty on my special day and had to work late. My friend Maggie came to get me and we walked to the barracks where we lived. I could smell bar be que and I heard the music and I knew everyone had started without me. But wait, I walked onto the patio and it was dark, and then it got quiet and all of a sudden all of these sparklers went off, (I wanted fire works for my day, so they had sparklers) and then everyone started to sing Happy Birthday to me, in perfect harmony, just like a choir. And then they cheered me and toasted me 25 years old. I have no remembrance of what happened after. (That's my story and I'm sticking too it.)
Now how can I ever top those memories? I can't. But I decided to dig deep in the scriptures, to find out about our appointed day. I suppose that if we were to receive a birthday card from Heavenly Father it would include a few of these scriptures:

He would tell us that we are loved passionately and that He never forgets us.

Isaiah 49:15-17
15 “Can a woman forget her nursing child, and not have compassion on the son of her womb? Surely they may forget, yet I will not forget you.
16 See, I have inscribed you on the palms of my hands;your walls are continually before me.
We are special to Him:
Matthew 10:29-31
29 Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will.
30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
31 Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows

He has loved us from the beginning and has planned our paths:

Psalm 139:1-3:13-16 (Amplified Bible)
1O LORD, you have searched me [thoroughly] and have known me.
2You know my down sitting and my uprising; you understand my thought afar off. (A)
3You sift and search out my path and my lying down, and you are acquainted with all my ways.
13For you did form my inward parts; you did knit me together in my mother's womb.
14I will confess and praise you for you are fearful and wonderful and for the awful wonder of my birth! Wonderful are your works, and that my inner self knows right well.
15My frame was not hidden from You when I was being formed in secret [and] intricately and curiously wrought [as if embroidered with various colors] in the depths of the earth [a region of darkness and mystery].
16Your eyes saw my unformed substance, and in your book all the days [of my life] were written before ever they took shape, when as yet there was none of them.
It was a great day when you were born; He celebrates that day :
PSALMS 118:24
24 This is the day the LORD has made;we will rejoice and be glad in it.
This would be the best birthday card ever, and it is, because I can search out these pearls and read them. What about the gifts. Because we chose his son to be our Savior, we received all things that pertain to life and godliness. All that we could ever think about and even partially comprehend, he has given to us. One of the best gifts is the Holy Spirit,and even better the gift of Eternal Life and exaltation. Wow what a party.
All nature declares his greatness and love. One of the best examples is the first clear night of the full moon, and all the stars are shining. What a great gift. I am thankful.These are the gifts that continue to give and bless.
Happy Birthday to Me.  

1 comment:

Becca said...

Happy Birthday to you! I love throwing parties, and we have parties ALL the time - especially birthday parties. I think our birthday parties are more for our friends than for us, though. We love being around people, and love getting friends together to talk, eat, laugh, and fellowship. We like to use our birthdays as an excuse to get people together.

Last year my husband was at some military training on our birthdays (our birthdays are the day after/before each other). So I threw myself a birthday party with my two little kids (who were 1 and 3 at the time). I bought myself some flowers, balloons, and a cake, and we grilled and played in the rain and ate cake together, just the three of us. It was fun. quiet and fun. I just might have to do more birthdays like that in the future.

PS i would throw you a birthday party :) Like I said, I LOVE throwing parties! :D