Friday, November 11, 2011

BUZZ!!!!!!!.......

Have you heard it, that noise, that rabble. Lately the "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints "has been in the news, and the irony of understatement is not lost on me. I had a conversation with a man, and it started out with me asking if he was from Utah. I am not from Utah, but I have quite a few friends from there, and there is a distinct "accent". So I asked this man if he was from Utah. He said "What? No, do I sound like a Mormon? Then he asked me if I was Mormon, and I said yes, I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints." So then he said, "looks like we're going to have a "Mormon" President". He asked what my views were of Brother Romney, and I told him that I did not know a lot about him as a politician, but he seems like a nice person with good values.  So that was the end of that conversation.
Today another co-worker asked if I had watched the debates. Most people ask me that, and I tell them that there is better television to watch . Of course I am then regaled with all of the antics and drama and comparing of religions.So I take the opportunity to be a good missionary, and pose a question? Do you believe in God? This question is usually a stumper for most people. This is a yes or no question, but most people have approached this question like a therapy session. The upside of this particular conversation was that I invited this person to visit our church. He says that he and his wife would like to find a church, where they can raise their children. Wow, what a statement. He and his wife don't have any children yet but I get the impression that there are some waiting in the wings. A place to raise your children, what a concept. I believe in my heart that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the place.

So for Fix it Friday, I found some really great quotes from past and present President's of the Church.
  • “We desire it distinctly understood that "Mormonism," as it is called, has come to the world to stay.” ( Conference Report, Oct. 1903, 4.) Joseph F. Smith
  • The time has come for us to stand a little taller, to lift our eyes and stretch our minds to a greater comprehension and understanding of the grand millennial mission of this, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.” ( “This Is the Work of the Master,” in Conference Report, Apr. 1995, 95.) Gordon P Hinckley
  • Let us have the courage to defy the consensus, the courage to stand for principle. Courage, not compromise, brings the smile of God’s approval. Courage becomes a living and an attractive virtue when it is regarded not only as a willingness to die manfully, but also as a determination to live decently. A moral coward is one who is afraid to do what he thinks is right because others will disapprove or laugh. Remember that all men have their fears, but those who face their fears with dignity have courage as well.” ( “The Call for Courage,” Ensign, May 2004, 55–56.) Thomas S Monson
  • “One of the main purposes of our existence is that we might conform to the image and likeness of Him who sojourned in the flesh without blemish—immaculate, pure and spotless! Christ came not only to atone for the sins of the world, but to set an example before all men and to establish the standard of God's perfection, of God's law, and of obedience to the Father.” ( Improvement Era, Dec. 1917, 104.)Joseph F.Smith
I love the challenge in the first quote by President Joseph F Smith, that we desire the world to know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is here to stay. Amen Brother.

In light of all of this, lets not go fighting battles, but I think that these are the times to exercise the pure love of Christ and to look for opportunities to be a good missionary. Invite someone to church, go pick them up if you have too.
HAPPY FRIDAY
        

2 comments:

Alicia said...

You are such an awesome missionary Ramona! I just smile when I hear of your courage to have gospel discussions and invite people to find out more about the truth. I love that quote by President Monson on moral courage too! Because I know the gospel is true that it is the only church on the earth that has the fullness of the gospel, it's such an honor and privilege to testify of these things! "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ."

I went to a really awesome conference this last weekend and heard an amazing woman tell a really great story about her faith to share the gospel. Here's a video of part of her story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdWPMHcAX3U

and one more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx3sSZTuOyA

Ramona Gordy said...

Thank you Alicia for those awesome links. I had an opportunity to attend "Time Out for Women in Oct, and Sister Kallon was scheduled to speak,sadly I missed my opportunity.But I am humbled by her testimony. I hope that I can continue to grow in faith and endurance and if I ever had to face such horrible challenges, I hope I can stand.
Thank you Alicia