Friday, December 30, 2011

HAPPY NEW YEAR:2012 OR BUST

CODY F MILLER
THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME BE MYSELF; AGAIN

Wow, 2012 is upon us. It’s a leap year, and it promises to be a good year. I am so excited.
2011 was a good year, it was a year that seemed to demand that loose ends be tied, that any procrastination stop and most of all fear is gone. In the Dec Ensign, President Eyring challenged all the believers to express their gratitude to our Heavenly Father in 100 different ways. So I thought about it and off the top of my head and the bottom of my heart I came up with about 51 items. I was surprised at what was on the list and I was immediately grateful and humbled and I even felt bad because I know that I had taken for granted quite a few things.

Here is a list of the top 10:
1. I am thankful for Agency; that I used to choose the Right
2. The Savior
3. A new heart, that continues to experience the “Mighty Change”
4. My husband and eternal partner
5. The Sealing Ordinance
6. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir and my once in a life time opportunity to see & hear them in concert this year.
7. Dr Jennifer B., a wonderful, kind Dentist who believes in “pain free” as much as possible.
8. The Book of Mormon
9. My good friend K. Miller, who is Thelma to my Louise
10. To be born, and living at this time.
So when I look at this list I fully realize how Heavenly Father has blessed me with all things, even a “pain free” dentist according to his riches in glory. I want to do my best and to be my best for God, worthy to be called a disciple. But I know in my “flawed” estate, it can be hard and I know I need some divine help in my every day walk. So instead of New Year’s resolutions, which never work, I have sought out what I call, “Earth shaking, and power walking scripture” to help me along my way.”
Galatians 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.
This is a pretty powerful scripture, one to read daily before I "walk" out the door so to speak. The Apostle Paul is admonishing us or reminding us that we have been set at liberty by virtue of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Because of this, we have a responsibility to continue in that strait and narrow path and not be enticed by the sins of the world. Or rather revert to our old habit patterns of sin.
Doctrine & Covenants 84:54
And your minds in times past have been darkened because of unbelief and because you have treated lightly the things you have received.
We are reminded to treasure this precious gift of “eternal life” that we have received.
One of my “fatal flaws” is that at times I become unsure of just who I am in this world. I become entangled with self doubt, and I tend to retreat instead of pushing forward and trusting in God. In Doctrine & Covenants 25, the Lord speaks directly to Emma Smith, wife of the Prophet Joseph Smith. During the time of this revelation, Joseph had just started to translate the golden plates. He and Emma had only been married a short time. I have a feeling that Emma’s sense of “who she was”, and her own carefully constructed identity was starting to falter. The Lord gave her much assurance in this revelation
Doctrine & Covenant 25:1-2
1 Hearken unto the voice of the Lord your God, while I speak unto you, Emma Smith, my daughter; for verily I say unto you, all those who receive my gospel are sons and daughters in my kingdom.
2 A revelation I give unto you concerning my will; and if thou art faithful and walk in the paths of virtue before me, I will preserve thy life, and thou shalt receive an inheritance in Zion.
I usually insert my name where Emma’s is because I know that the Lord is speaking to me also. But I asked the question, what is this path of virtue?
Philippians 4:8-9
8 Finally, brethren:
  • Whatsoever things are true,
  • Whatsoever things are noble,
  • Whatsoever things are just,
  • Whatsoever things are pure,
  • Whatsoever things are lovely,
  • Whatsoever things are of good report,
If there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.
9 The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.
The final verses of Doctrine & Covenants 25, verses 10; 13-14 echo what is said in Philippians 4:8
Doctrine & Covenants 25:10:13-14
10 And verily I say unto thee that thou shalt lay aside the things of this world, and seek for the things of a better.
13 Wherefore, lift up thy heart and rejoice, and cleave unto the covenants which thou hast made.
14 Continue in the spirit of meekness, and beware of pride. Let thy soul delight in thy husband, and the glory which shall come upon him.
15 Keep my commandments continually, and a crown of righteousness thou shalt receive. And except thou do this, where I am you cannot come.
We are to lay aside and not become entangled “again” into the things of this world. But seek for those things which are true, noble, just, pure, and lovely and of a good report. We are to lift up our hearts and rejoice in our covenants that we have made. Wow!!
Beware of pride, which comes in all disguises,even self doubt, depression, murmurings. In Ether 12:27 the Lord gives insight into continuing in meekness
Ether 12:27
27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them
I have struggled with some of these issues and I thought that if I could just work them out myself, then I could serve better, be better, do better.I consider Ether 12:27 a life line, so for me this is an "Earth Shaking" promise.
And finally,
1 Nephi 10:19 For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost, as well in these times as in times of old; and as well in times of old as in times to come; wherefore, the course of the Lord is one eternal round.
These are my personal “Power walk” Scripture. I know that there are more that I will be adding, but when I sought guidance, these scripture were all familiar to me. That is how God is. His words we have hidden or treasured up in our hearts that we may not have an occasion to sin against him and fall off that strait and narrow path.

Happy New Year everyone. The future’s so bright, we gotta wear shades

4 comments:

Ulder said...

What uplifting power verses to start the New Year and each day. Thx!

Jenny Kay said...

What a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your inspiration and experiences with us. <3
-sister Jenny

Michaela Stephens said...

I love your attitude, RGG! Keep it up!

Ramona Gordy said...

Thanks everyone for stopping by,check this out:
Chapter 1: Living what we Believe
Teachings of Presidents of the Church: George Albert Smith
"Our Religion must find expression in our everyday lives."