Thursday, February 16, 2012

BE A GOODY TWO SHOES


Philippians 2:1-5
1 Therefore if there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy,  
2 fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.
3 Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.
4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.
5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus,

If you are ever having a bad day, week, month or whatever, I recommend reading the entire book of Phillipians. It is a short book only 4 chapters. But I gaurantee that you would probably benefit more from reading them than any self help book. It is full of love.
I love this passage, Phillipians 2:1-5,it reads like "light" poetry, but its packed with doctrine and oh my, commandments. I feel that at times a commandment of Heavenly Father may be "wrapped in sweetness" like a spoon full of sugar, (you know the rest) so that we can stop what we're doing and come in a little closer and really listen to what is being said.
So my daily prayer is to have compassion, but not only that Lord, but please define what that means? Is compassion only love for your neighbor, or is it the ability to really empathize with a person in need. In verse 3 we are admonished  to remove selfish and conceited behavior. I know that at times I would argue with you that I would not consider myself selfish, and certainly not conceited. But I can only  judge my own behavior by its effect on people I care about, when I receive feedback. The second part of that verse encourages us to be humble. Humility is like a mirror, you don't necessarily see your own reflection in it, but what is reflected is how others are benefited from your change in perceptive. The 5th verses commands us, advises us strongly, to "let this mind(set) be in you which was also in Christ. Who would not want to be like the Savior?

1 comment:

Becca said...

I like reading scriptures that are "sugar coated". The right-between-the-eyes stuff is good, too, but the sugar coated scriptures just make you feel warm and fuzzy!