Wednesday, October 17, 2012

LET ME BE....SPIRITUAL

CODY F MILLER
So this past Sunday was Fast Sunday, or Fast and Testimony Sunday in our ward, like many wards of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. This is my favorite Sunday, because we, as a collective group have the opportunity to share our hearts to the congregation. It can be quite interesting to say the least. 
So our Bishop was presiding and he is a soft spoken man,so you really have to listen and lean in when he speaks. He said something like this: " I realize that we are spiritual beings in this world, having a natural or temporal experience". We should all endeavor to "walk" more in the spiritual, so that our natural lifestyle will prosper." WHAT?  So he repeated what he said and proceeded to bear his testimony on that talking point. Wow, did he really say that, did everyone hear that?
So I had to investigate that, because I wanted to get to the bottom of this. I know it's true, but there was a paradigm shift..   
The Lord says:
Doctrine & Covenants 29:31-34
31 For by the power of my Spirit created I them; yea all things both spiritual and temporal
32 First spiritual, secondly temporal, which is the beginning of my work; and again, first temporal, and secondly spiritual which is the last of my work-
34 Wherefore, verily I say unto you that all things unto me are spiritual, and not at any time have I given you a law that was temporal; neither any man nor the children of men; neither Adam, your father, whom I created.
Where is our spirit?
Doctrine & Covenants 88:15
15 And the spirit and the body are the soul of man.
1 Corinthians 6:17;19-20
17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.
19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body,and in your spirit, which are God's.
So how do we "walk" in the Spirit? 
2nd Corinthians 4:7
7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God  and not of us.
We walk by faith, covenant keeping and obedience. By our fruits, our works and life will be made manifest in the natural. 
Galatians 5:22-23;25
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is "LOVE, JOY, PEACE, LONG SUFFERING, GENTLENESS, GOODNESS, FAITH
23 MEEKNESS, TEMPERANCE: against such there is no law.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 
MUSIC AND THE SPOKEN WORD: DONALD LAWRENCE....LET ME BE SPIRITUAL 
  

2 comments:

catania said...

This is a really interesting/helpful way at looking at things. I guess I mean that this is the challenge! - Teaching our spiritual sides how to navigate through our mortal experiences - balancing out the two.

Lately, I've been amazed at how much my spirit is effected by my physical condition. For example: hormones. They effect my mood, they give me headaches, I believe that they cause me to be a little anxious. Left unchecked, I have learned that they can really do a number on how I'm feeling spiritually. I have to learn to overcome these things in some kind of way. There are different things we can do, but I'm not necessarily promoting "fixing" our hormonal imbalances (or other physical issues) with drugs. Instead, by becoming aware of some of the ways that my hormones are effecting me, I have made small changes that will help me to stay closer to the Lord and spiritually whole, even during this "natural experience."

Thanks for the post!

Ramona Gordy said...

Thank you for stopping by Catania
I understand what you are saying, I don't know if at some point, we all weary of the onslaught of the world. The constant,steady stream of "babble". So how is our inner man our spirit affected by this? Sometimes overwhelmed, sometimes headaches and other things. I take my inspiration from 3rd Nephi, when the Nephite's were in darkness for 3 days and nights, and all of the chaos that was going on, but the Father spoke to them, to their spirits, because that is how he get's our attention. Just like in primary, I am trying to be like Jesus. I want to sing the song of redeeming love. I try to seek out the Spirit in everything I do, sometimes I succeed, sometimes my bad days overtake. But one of my favorite Jesus statements is "I and my Father are one".