Monday, June 3, 2013

MONDAY DEVONTI0NAL


THE WORD OF THE DAY IS    FEAR……….NOT

Kelly Rae Roberts
Happy Monday everyone, is Monday your favorite day?  I can’t complain because I am usually off on Monday, and my Monday is Tuesday. So I have another day to ponder my attitude toward the “beginning” of the week. I have been studying the principles of obedience; our obedience to Heavenly Father and how obedience affects our general outlook on life. Did you know that obedience, even perfect obedience is a source of happiness?

Mosiah 2: 41   And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it.
The first time I read this scripture, I was such a scoffer, still quite rebellious in my thinking and actions. I was really intrigued at the concept of “happiness equals obedience”.
Lately my scripture mantra is this:
James 1:2-4
2 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials,
3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.
4 But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.
I have found that if I change my "approach" in trials of my life, and endeavor to "come" unto Christ in humility and as much meekness as I can muster, then I know that the blessing of patience will help me to bear it better, will help to create in me a grateful heart. The Savior always entreats us to "be of good cheer" and "fear not" (worry not, obsess not, bite our fingernails not, overeat not; etc.). But through fasting and praying and singing spiritual songs, we can bear it. I realize that the root or basis of most of my own seasons of disobedience has to do with fear; the fear of trusting in Heavenly Father more, the fear of letting go.
One very good measure of our faith and trust in Christ is our lack of fear. If we are His faithful servants, He has promised that all things would and will work together for our good, no matter what happens (see D&C 98:3). If we believe this, we can meet each day with joy and gladness, each crisis with equanimity, and each calamity with recognition of an opportunity to do good. If we are afraid of anything, that fear is the measure of our lack of trust in Christ. For if all things work together for our good, what is there to fear? If we will only do our part and obey Christ in all things, there is no need to fear anything except not having faith in Jesus Christ. Chauncey C. Riddle, “The Two Covenants,” in Religious Educator 3, no. 3 (2002): 141–149.
So, today is the first day of the rest of your life and my life. How can I apply this principle of obedience and happiness and security to the everydayness of life? I have decided to prepare better for each day, to set better goals, maybe I will actually get up when the alarm goes off.
Doctrine &Covenants 98:1-3
1 Verily I say unto you my friends, fear not, let your hearts be comforted; yea, rejoice evermore, and in everything give thanks;
 2 Waiting patiently on the Lord, for your prayers have entered into the ears of the Lord of Sabbath, and are recorded with this seal and testament—the Lord hath sworn and decreed that they shall be granted.
 3 Therefore, he gives this promise unto you, with an immutable covenant that they shall be fulfilled; and all things wherewith you have been afflicted shall work together for your good, and to my name’s glory, said the Lord.

No comments: