Tuesday, April 15, 2014

THE "R" LIST

1
Wise Women by Cody Miller
I read an article where Oprah recently celebrated her 60th birthday. Wow, now that is a paradigm shift isn't it?  It looks good on her and she said that maybe 60 is the new 40. So does that mean that 50 is the new 30? I'll take it. In true Oprah fashion, a "60 of my favorite things" list was compiled. I love that Oprah is a compulsive list maker, so am I. Only my lists usually end up lost in the bottom of my purse before I can find something productive for them to do. So lately I have been collecting things, like quotes, and clip art, good music, and you tube sermons, etc. I wanted to compile my very own "R " list. I love words, specifically words that have power and healing in them. Consequently, my book collection has increased, but my time for reading is scarce. So what I do to enjoy a book or a good blog post is to "clip out" stand alone quotes. Here are a few that will knock your socks off.... 

I have had this quote by Marianne Williamson in my "collection", and for a long time I was afraid to "put it out there". But I saw the "truth" in it and I felt that I could apply it to myself in a healthy way.It's good to be true to who you are being.
2"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.Marianne Williamson 

Awesome, those are empowering words. I am always curious to learn of others and their journey to God, and finding their own spirituality. It is this quote that reminded me to let my light shine. 
3


If we try to live up to some ridiculous idea of perfection we totally miss grace, we completely miss grace. Grace is something we need to embrace; the Lord knows us, and He doesn’t want us to be like everyone else. He didn’t make us to be like everyone else. We’re all individuals and he needs us to do his work to build up Zion to strengthen and edify each other. We are all part of the same body but if the body is walking around with the knee thinking it’s supposed to be the nose or the head thinking it’s supposed to b e the shoulder… You can’t do your job if you think you are supposed to be something else. Just find out who you are in the Lord and make your space in the Church

Tina Richardson (Who is she?) A very gutsy woman of God.

"Tina knew from a young age that music was her life's calling and she is a professional saxophonist in New York. It took longer for Tina to realize that she is gay, but a period of inactivity from the Church didn't stop her from paying her tithing every month. It was appreciation and practice of Buddhism that led Tina back to the Church in her remarkable journey back into activity"- See more at: http://www.mormonwomen.com/2013/05/09/playing-from-her-heart/#sthash.ZoPWYRO8.dpuf

I love her opening line: "If we try to live up to some ridiculous idea of perfection, we totally miss grace......"  So my mantra is that "I am not perfect, and sometimes I am a mess, but I am who I am  and God loves me this way."
4
I have always resonated with this poem by Maya Angelou. I loved her "voice" in her poetry and in her books. One of my favorite books by her is "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings". But it is this poem that is so in your face confident, that when it came out, I bought a copy of the book for all of my girl friends. I really love the first and last stanza's.
Phenomenal Woman by Maya Angelou      
Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.
Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
the palm of my hand,
The need of my care,
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.



5

Lately this is my favorite song, "HAPPY". 
HAPPY is my new favorite word. 

Happy as in Happy Birthday to Me. Yes, yes, it is again my appointed day. (I can hear you out there; don't cry for me Argentina.) It's all good. It was a good day to be born. So enjoy the posts, enjoy the videos and go get yourself some cake. Ps: if you are celebrating your birthday TOO, link your blog to mine and we will have a "BLOG HOP"


No comments: