Wednesday, April 22, 2009

HAPPY EARTH DAY......psalms 24:1-3

Psalm 24 1 The earth is the Lords, and the fullness thereof: the world and they that dwell therein. Today is Earth day. I am curious about this (new to me) evolving (holi)day. It is interesting to note that this day has gotten as much attention as Easter. I am all for a "Green Day", and I have been trying to work with it in relation to my own Emergency preparedness quest. I have read a lot today, and it seems that "Earth Day"is quite commercial.Eat this, not that; buy this,use this. Change your life for a price. As with any "new ,new thing, it comes with a price,and a lot of insincerity. Today I monitored myself to see how much waste I made that could be recycled. I noted that the dishes I used for breakfast and lunch were made of either Styrofoam or plastic. They all went into the same trash can. I can change my own behaviour by making a conscious decision to make my own lunch and use re-usable containers. I can use one of the many lunch bags I have bought instead of plastic bags. I can save/recycle my hard earned money by making a list for groceries and adhering to it and not buying gratuitous snacks. I would like to get some recycling trash containors for my home. My husband and I go through bottled water like crazy. Maybe we could only get the gallon jugs and use personal water bottles. We could get a good filter and refill the jugs. Maybe I could do a test run on this. We could also send out more recyclable trash too. I could look into the special bags used for recycling. Now my 72 hour rule takes on an additional spin. Recycle, reuse and save. Stop unnessary waste.

No comments: