Tuesday, February 23, 2010

72 HOUR RULE: What I learned about Prepardness

So, finally last Thursday was the highly anticipated, mostly under-appreciated Provident Living Rollout. I must say that even as I am compiling my thoughts on this, my heart feels remiss. I feel a rant coming on, but I must be humble. For the past month and a half myself and 2-3 other sisters have worked hard to put together an "enrichment" (if you will) meeting that would hopefully kick off the Joys of Provident Living. I say this in all seriousness. It seems that Prov Liv is a subject that has been around the block. Most people it seems would rather have a tooth pulled than to endure just one more meeting or discussion on the subject. I naively thought that since we had all just endured the "Blizzard of the Century", we would all have fun sharing our survival stories. Not so much. We prepared for at least 25 people, maybe 6 or 7 showed up and only because there was a basket ball game going on and I sent my husband to round up some folks.We had food and plenty of it. I have never known people to pass up food. At least the Bishop and the misses came. The RS president was a no show. Now that's off my chest. The lesson was so good, and the spirit was so sweet. Jesus said to his disciples; When two or more are gathered together in my name, I will be there in your midst". I did feel the Spirit strongly.
So I did learn something, and I was humbled at the sweetness of the lesson. When Jesus was preparing his disciples for His crucifixation and the future of their own lives, he said to them: "Without me you are nothing" . I know that we have all heard this statement, usually when someone is slamming a door in your face or leavign you high and dry.But Jesus said this with all the love in the universe. Without me you are nothing. Only God can prepare our hearts so that we can begin to become what he wants us to be. This story of prepardness began in John 3 with the conversation between Jesus and Nicodemus. It was obvious that Nicodemus was concerned about his own life and mortality. What could he do to become like Jesus, was the likely question. Even before he could say it; Jesus answered him "Ye must be born again, and not only that, ye must be born of the spirit  and by baptism. Prepardness 101.
The true meaning of Prepardness is this:
Romans 8:28-31
28  And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God; to them who are called according to his purpose 
29 For whom he did foreknow he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the first born among the many brethern
30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called; and whom he called , them he also justified and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
31 what shall we say to these things; If God be for us who can be against us (prevail against us?)  

Doctrine & Covenants 88:80 That ye may be prepared in all things when I shall send you again to magnify the calling whereunto I have called you, and the mission with which I have commissioned you.

The process of preparing our hearts was culminated in Alma, when he poised this most heart felt question:
He ye been spiritually reborn of God? Have you experienced a mighty change of heart? He  was asking if we have received that "heart transplant" that would render us whole.Only with a change of heart, a new heart that God has prepared for us can we even begin to live.
This life we are living, this calling we have elected to serve, is important. I learned that I can't do it all alone. No matter how many self help books, articles, web sites, classes, my cupboards are not that full. I don't have a years worth. My papers are terminally disorganized, my files almost non-exsistent. Without the help of our Heavenly Father I can do nothing.
I am thankful.It doesn't matter "anyway" that many chose not to come. Those who came received blessings beyond measure.
                  

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Oh Ramona I know where you are coming from. I have been in the same situation where I prepare an activity for 30 people and only 6 or 7 show up. It's frustrating, but at least I was prepared. I figure it is better to prepare too much than too little.

I think it's a good lesson spiritually too. You can never prepare too much spiritually. You could never rejoice too much in the power and goodness of God or serve Him too much. And if you labor all your days to be "a fisher of men" and you only bring one soul unto Him, how great shall be your joy. You have done the work He has asked you to do and you are a better person for it.

We are nothing without God. It makes it all the more beautiful that He would give His Son, Who is Everything, to save us.

Thanks so much for your testimony.
Have a wonderful day!