Thursday, March 11, 2010

WHAT A FRIEND WE HAVE IN JESUS

kelly rae roberts: SISTERS AT HEART

1.What a friend we have in Jesus, All our sins and grief’s to bear!
What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer!
Oh, what peace we often forfeit, Oh, what needless pain we bear,
all because we do not carry Everything to God in prayer!
2.Have we trials and temptations? Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful, who will all our sorrows, share?
Jesus knows our every weakness; Take it to the Lord in prayer.
3.Are we weak and heavy-laden, Cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge, Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee? Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He’ll take and shield thee, Thou wilt find a solace there.
4.Blessed Savior, Thou hast promised, Thou wilt all our burdens bear;
May we ever, Lord, be bringing All to Thee in earnest prayer.
Soon in glory bright, unclouded, there will be no need for prayer—
Rapture, praise, and endless worship, Will be our sweet portion there.
Joseph M. Scriven 1855

I love this song, it has been a favorite of mine since I was a kid. This song was the first one that I could play on the piano from memory. I remember visiting my mothers sister once, and as was a habit established in me and my brother, we always went to church on Sundays; and  while we were visiting her too. She told me about a little church that was literally located in "the hills" of a serious rural area.I love that memory of this little shotgun church with its pine plank floors.I remember meeting some of the members there. I asked if I could practice my piano lessons on their piano. They said yes, but they also said they didn't have a piano player. They mostly sang acappella and played tamborines and guitars.(I wish I could go back there). So I played this song "What a Friend we Have in Jesus".They asked me to play it again and they joined in singing and adding the guitar and tamborines. I had never heard it sound like that before I was a little skeptical, coming from a restrained Baptist Church. No tamborines allowed, no dancing, not even in the Spirt and no guitars. They invited my brother  and me to church on Sunday and asked if I would play the piano. I was too shy.
So this song is like a soundtrack to me. When I feel alone,even friendless, this little song sings in my soul.
What a wonderful friend we have in Jesus. This song has a companion song; "JESUS LOVES ME"
I used to sing this song when I was in nursery (primary). Yes Jesus loves me, yes Jesus loves me, yes Jesus loves me, for the Bible tells me so." We are his little ones, no matter how old we think we are. We are his little ones.

No comments: