Wednesday, September 1, 2010

72 HOUR RULE: SEEKING FOR THE BETTER

BE BRAVE
All of us have faced deadlines. Fear can grip us when we realize that there may not be enough time left to finish what we promised we would do. The thought comes, “Why didn’t I start earlier?”
The Lord knew we would be tempted to procrastinate the most important preparation we could ever make in this life. More than once He warned us about delay. He taught the parable of the ten virgins, five of whom did not fill their lamps for the coming of the bridegroom. He also gave the parable of the servants who were faithless because they believed their Lord would delay His coming. The results of delay were tragic.
Henry B. Eyring, “Do Not Delay,” Ensign, Nov 1999, 33

I have been thinking about the concept of time lately. I realize that everyone has their own mantra about time; such as " I don't have any time, ever". "I never have enough time"etc. I was talking with a very good friend of mine about why she never answered her email or even her phone. Why she allowed her husband to become"the messenger". She said that she did not have any time, not even a moment. She said this with out much emotion and a little bit of bitterness. I mean the woman has four beautiful daughters, a handsome devoted husband with a great job,a lovely house. She's a stay at home mom, but she home schools all of her children. Maybe she has time for "that which is needful", but as she told me, she just doesn't have time to read emails or blogs. Wow what a slap. I know that she didn't mean it that way, but it was a reality slap for me.

So I thought about my own "time". There is only me and my husband. I am the anti thesis of my friend.  I work 10 hrs a day, 4 days a week. It takes me 1.5 hrs each way to work. I set the clock to wake at 4:30 am but I snooze until 05:30 and rush around trying to make up time. I don't have any children, only a dog who can't do tricks.  I decided to stop this defeating behavior because  I realized that I was wasting as much time as I have. I considered what our Heavenly Father teaches us about time.He himself is endless, with no beginning or end, but He has given us the concept of time and a choice to work within the confines and limitations of it.
The revelation given to Emma Smith in Doctrine and Covenants 25 has allowed me to "see" that all women suffer through doing what is "needful" and what is necessary.
 In D&C 25:1 the Savior challenges Emma Smith in verse 1.... "
and if thou art faithful and walk in the paths of virtue before me, I will preserve thy life, and thou shalt receive an inheritance in Zion."
He is offering her an opportunity to choose that which is better. To spend a portion of her time "in the nurture and admonition" of the Lord.In verse 10 he admonishes her
:"And verily I say unto thee that thou shalt lay aside the things of this world, and seek for the things of a better"
When Christ was on earth he counseled another handmaiden named Martha. In Luke 10 38-41,Martha is busy with the house and dinner and everything.Out of frustration she asks Jesus to tell her sister Mary that she has chores also. He counseled her this way in verse 41

41 And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
42 But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.
What is that good part? Good is referenced in Hebrew as tov.That good part is the part that functions well in the purpose it was designed for.
2 Timothy 2:15 admonishes us to:"
Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth"
What I decided to do was get out of bed when the clock rings. I get up and step away from the bed. I make it up quickly. I get on my knees and thank our Heavenly Father for another day,and a good nights sleep. As I drive to work I listen to inspirational music. On my lunch breaks I read inspirational blogs  that motivate me to dig into those scriptures. When I am finally home from work, my husband and I share what the Lord has done for us, read scriptures,work on lessons,etc.We have family prayer before he goes to work at night.
I am building better habit patterns. I have benefited from improving my scripture study habits. I challenged myself to re-read the Book of Mormon. I haven't read it through since I was baptized 3 years ago. Not to say I have not read it, but I  have not benefited from the blessings of really reading it and pondering over it. I prayed to have a clear mind and a willing heart, and when I would read it , I would enjoy it. I do. I have had a missionary opportunity with my brother. He has recently graduated from a Bible College where he lives. I challenged him to read the book of Mormon with me and he has. I enjoy being able to discuss different passages with him and share insight.

No comments: