Thursday, September 9, 2010

72 Hour Rule: Bearing Witness

The year 2010, I have to say has been a banner year. I feel that if anyone who believes in the goodness of God, would testify to this.There has been such an outpouring of the Lords spirit on his anointed. To acknowledge a quote "The ability to qualify for and receive personal revelation on a daily basis" is a goal that everyone should aspire to.
Earlier this month,I thought about shutting my blog down. I felt that no one I invited read it any way. But then as I was feeling sorry for myself, a thought occurred to me. What is the real purpose of this blog. Is the purpose to be a social blog, or a record? My record at least. I thought, "I wish that I could put my thoughts out in a cohesive manner, and have all of my facts straight, my scriptures concise. But I am not a scriptorium yet. Then it occurred to me that I started this blog to help me prepare and to be prepared. What I originally started out preparing for has morphed into something deeper. I am learning a lot about my self,and more about our Heavenly Fathers plan for us.
This past Sunday I taught in Relief Society concerning our Covenants.I wanted to understand the meaning and purpose of my baptismal covenants, and I wanted to understand clearly why I took sacrament every Sunday. I found so much information. It was amazing to me that we should not view our covenants as words to live by, but to live by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. Our covenants are not to be taken lightly,not to be forgotten, not become convenient. They are to be guarded,and cherished, and most of all acted upon. There are enormous blessings that are untapped because we don't bother to go further than the recital of them.One commandment stood out to me in the Book of Mormon
Mosiah 18:9 Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—
The Lord wants us to stand and bear witness of Him,to defend his Holy name. I thought about this, and I wondered what I could possibly do . He wants us to stand in holy places:
Doctrine and Covenants 45:32 But my disciples shall stand in holy places, and shall not be moved; but among the wicked, men shall lift up their voices and curse God and die.
He wants us to maintain our integrity,even against all of the nonsense that is so prevalent.
Job 27:2-6
2 As God liveth, who hath taken away my judgment; and the Almighty, who hath vexed my soul;
3 All the while my breath is in me, and the spirit of God is in my nostrils;
4 My lips shall not speak wickedness, nor my tongue utter deceit.
5 God forbid that I should justify you: till I die I will not remove mine integrity from me.
6 My righteousness I hold fast, and will not let it go: my heart shall not reproach me so long as I live.
So in light of this,I want to maintain my integrity, even to family members. Remember what Job's wife said to him?
Job 2:9 9 ¶ Then said his wife unto him, Dost thou still retain thine integrity? curse God, and die.
My husband called me a Holy Roller. Now I know that his statement was not half as harsh a Mrs. Job's,but the resulting discussion, left me a little deflated. I will have more on this in my next post.  
        

1 comment:

Alicia said...

I have felt much like you with my own blog. Your post is a reminder to me why I created mine. Thanks for your email this past week too Ramona, it was very encouraging.

We have Stake Conference this weekend and tonight for the Sat. eve. session the 1st counselor quoted Alma 26:30. I had to smile because of our conversation this past week. It was a repeat of what you said and what I had read in my personal scripture study.... in the mouth of 2 or 3 witnesses right ;) Maybe the Lord is trying to tell me something.