Wednesday, September 22, 2010

KINDNESS TO STRANGERS

Blanche Dubois:Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers. "Streetcar named Desire;Tennessee Williams"

Hebrews13:2 Do not forget or neglect or refuse to extend hospitality to strangers [in the brotherhood--being friendly, cordial, and gracious, sharing the comforts of your home and doing your part generously], for through it some have entertained angels without knowing it.

What is it about those random acts of kindness? You know, going around smiling at people for no reason,saying hello, opening doors? Are we compelled to do this? Today I helped a lady catch a bus. Seriously; I saw a shuttle bus driver preparing to leave the bus stop and I saw this lady running down the side walk, as cute as she could be. I say this because I have been there. I have broken out into a full trot in heels, my arms waving, yelling, even throwing my shoes, to no avail . I know the bus driver heard the shoe thump on the back side of the bus. I know the other passengers saw me and some even knew me. Just my luck another bus would not be there for at least an hour or more. So I saw this lady running as much as she could muster in her cute shoes, and I signaled to the bus driver to wait, and I signaled to the lady that the bus would wait. She thanked me non-verbally. I couldn't just walk by her and pretend not to notice her need.  

Matthew 25:34-40
 34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in;
36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink?
38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’

We serve a Great God who is concerned over the small things in life. When we smile at someone, or say hello we are sharing a gift.

1 comment:

Heather@Women in the Scriptures said...

I just wanted to let you know that you won the third place prize, the little book of mormon, on my blog! Please email me your address and contact information (phone number and email) and I'll have the artist send it to you soon. my email is heatherlady at gmail.com