Friday, July 1, 2011

It Must Needs Be
"A companion gospel doctrine, and and essential element to our  mortal experience, is understanding that we will always have opposition in our lives, indeed "there is an opposition in all things". So lets stop being surprised when it arrives--our expectation should be that it will! Indeed, opposition holds a vital position in our mortal experience. As Lehi explained, "For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. If not so,....righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad.....It must needs be that there was an opposition; even the forbidden fruit in opposition to the tree of life; the one being sweet and the other bitter. Wherefore, the Lord God gave unto man that he should act for himself. Wherefore, man could not act for himself save it should be that he was enticed by the one or the other (2 Nephi 2:11, 15-16)"   Lynn A. Samsel Director, Humanitarian Emergency Response and Community Services at Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints 2010 BYU WOMEN'S CONFERENCE 

2 Nephi 2:14
14And now, my sons, I speak unto you these things for your profit and learning; for there is a God, and he hath created all things, both the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are, both things to act and things to be acted upon.
So, we have trials and bad days and good days. We are encouraged to prepare our hearts and minds and mights to endure. They will be back.
But when they come back, will they find us cowering in the corner as it were? Will they find us waving a white flag. Nope, they will find us holding a sign that says "Bring it On". (no false bravado here)

Sometimes in the midst of our trials, there are lessons to be learned, and an opportunity to serve.
My husband P. works at a job that he and his coworkers call, "The Worst Job Ever." I must say that whenever I hear him say that, I cringe because I know that the Lord provided this job for him against a few odds in his favor. The "drama" is never ending to hear him speak, perfect material for a reality show. A few weeks ago he experienced some incidents that on looking back on them, I can literally see the hand of the Lord guiding my husband and the subsequent outcome.
 He was called in the office one evening because he closely resembled another coworker who was caught on camera violating some rules. He had the presence of mind to ask if the film could be slowed down to get a good look at the perpetrator. It wasn't him, but the person in question was one of his accusers.
The following day, as he drove in he was greeted by security and several big bosses. The same accusers were there and this time he was mistaken for another "big guy" who on the previous evening had caused some problems. They searched his truck and his person, nothing. The security officers asked his accusers to verify the charges, everyone started to point fingers at each other because it was all hearsay. The real perpetrator was again one of his accusers. It gets weirder.
So P and I talked about this and we prayed about it. The Lord did show me what my husband couldn't see. My husband is living and breathing the blessings of his Patriarchal Blessings. In those blessings to us, they are also to be used to bless others. I saw P. as a beacon of light and instead of the adversary's minions running away from him, they were running toward him,only to be blindsided by the light.
P. was so upset by all of this, he asked the question, "Who can stand up for me, who can be an advocate, I am not doing anything wrong"
When he went to work later that evening, one of his accusers decided to play a trick on him. I must say this about that person; When my husband first started this job, he had an opportunity to save his life. The guy was being beat up by several other guys and my husband stopped the fight and helped him. Did he say thank you, Nope.
So the trick was to hold back some important paperwork that my husband needed to deliver. He drives a truck, like a courier. He called my husband and tells him that he has to return for the missing paper work. P tells him no, you have to catch me. The guy jumps in his car, drives 85mpr to try and catch him, and of course he gets pulled over. The state trooper asked the guy what was his hurry. He told the officer that he was trying to catch a courier to deliver some important papers. He had an attitude about and the officer asked him about the driver of the truck. Then he said my husbands name. Oh yes, I know Mr P, the officer said and he is my friend. (Did you hear that?).The officer was about to give him a humongous ticket for 25 miles over the speed limit, but instead he literally bore his testimony to this man.
Apparently my husband had been pulled over by the same officer about a year ago. P had started to pray concerning the impending ticket. The officer was so intrigued with P, that he said "Son, if you're gonna pray, why not pray for me instead". So P took his hands in his, and opened his mouth and prayed a powerful prayer for this man. And afterward P told the officer, that "the Lord wants you to go home to your family." Talk about calling down the power of heaven. The officer was literally standing there with tears in his eyes. Apparently he was experiencing some family upheaveals. He tore up the ticket and thanked him. He went back and reconciled with his family.
This very same officer was an advocate for P. He told the coworker that he would hold on to the ticket until he could talk to my husband about it.
So by this time the guy is a blithering idiot, he drives back to the shop and sleeps there until my husband returns in the morning. He confronted my husband about this, and again, my husband verified his words to be true, and he prayed for the coworker and forgave him.
Now there should be a happy ending of sorts, but life goes on the same course. The victory is not what can be seen but what is not seen. There is power in the Holy Priesthood of God of which we as his sons and daughters do benefit from.There are still bad days, but we say to them "Bring it on"                   
Philippians 4:11-13
11 Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content:
12 I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.
13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.  

1 comment:

Becca said...

What a neat experience! Thanks for sharing. We are going through our own trials right now - ones that feel pretty rough right now, but will probably seem insignificant in the future looking back. However, I am sure that the lessons learned will be of great benefit to our family. I hope that after all this "beating" we're getting, we can hold up that sign saying "Bring it on!"