Tuesday, September 20, 2011

TUESDAY DEVONTIONAL


Cody F.Mill "Sorjourner"

2 Corinthians 4:16-19
16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.
17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory,
18 While we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.
Psalms 84:5 Blessed is the man whose strength is in You, Whose heart is set on pilgrimage.
So the exhortation today is not to lose heart. Back in April, I had minor surgery on my right knee, and my doctor assured me that recovery time would be short, a little uncomfortable but overall successful. He promised me that I would be back in “heels” in a month. So I decided not to go to physical therapy, I figured I could save money by continuing with my daily routine of lunchtime  walks at work and stretching. It worked and my right knee was pain-free, and limber enough for me to consider taking a yoga class. Oops, my left knee started to hurt at the beginning of August. I took a proactive approach and stretched some more and stepped up my lunch time walking. But my left knee got progressively worse, I thought maybe it wanted the same type of attention the other knee had, maybe a rivalry of sorts. When I considered going back to my orthopedic surgeon for a diagnosis, I just couldn’t do it. I had to tuff this out; I had to see it through. So I started to climb stairs instead of elevators at work. (Unfortunately work is where I spend at least 75% of my day, most of it sitting in a windowless, airless cubicle.) I have been taking the long way across the campus in the mornings before work. It worked, and at least for the time being, both of my knees are working at 85% to 90%.

Psalms 84:5 acknowledges that we are on a pilgrimage, well I am on a pilgrimage and I hope you are too.

2Corinthians 4:17 Encourages us to be patient in our trials and afflictions for they are but for a moment, and even if a bum knee doesn’t seem like something that plays a part in our eternal progression, it does.

I am thankful for a Savior who can succor us in all of our physical, and mental and emotional ailments.

1 comment:

Becca said...

I am impressed by your dedication to finding a way to strengthen yourself. Thanks for the devotional! "Do not lose heart" is going to be my new motto. Life is tough sometimes, and it's easy to despair. Thanks again!