Friday, December 9, 2011

THOUGHTS FOR FRIDAY: CHRISTMAS CARDS


The Birth of Jesus: Cody F. Miller
 Luke 2:1-14

1And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed.
2(And this taxing was first made when Cyrenius was governor of Syria.)
3And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city.
4And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:)
5To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.
6And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered.
7And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.
8And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.
9And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
10And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
11For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
12And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
13And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
14Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
Last Saturday I bought my 2011 Christmas cards. You know in my fantasy life, I live in the White House, and of course every year I design a special card for that Christmas season and everyone will treasure it and keep it, even auction it on EBay. But seriously, I love picking out cards to send all of my friends and family. I think that it is becoming a lost art, with email, evite,photo shop,etc.
I remember my first Christmas's. My mother was the center of my world, and to me every thing she did was indeed magic. She loved sending out Christmas cards, and she would allow me to put the stamps on the envelopes, back then you had to lick them. All of the cards had glitter. Most depicted Christmas trees and snowmen, and of course the baby Jesus in the manger. I remember Christmas being all about the Baby Jesus.
So the Christmas card I found was to say the least, audacious. The card is long like a rectangle, and white. On the front the scripture from Luke 2:1-14 is written and in the middle of the writing is a picture of Mary cuddling Jesus.
What's so amazing about this card is that it spoke to my heart. It was a brave little card, and it had the nerve to put that entire scripture record on the front, with a picture of the mother and child. So as I read the record of Luke, the Holy Spirit did bear witness to me in my heart, that these things are true.And like the Grinch, my heart grew a few sizes larger and I knew.
Every Christmas is a little different for me. My favorite one was when I decided to be baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I learned a lot of things about the Saviour during this time and how to have a wonderful Christmas without the worldly hoopla, the black Fridays and Super Tuesdays. Even now, I feel a sense of anticipation that I haven't really felt in the past. We are waiting for the Savior. Those of us who know and serve and love the Savior. We are waiting for His arrival. There are birth pains and threatenings of higher taxes. We have all but lost faith in our elected officials, citizens run amok, holding towns hostage with violence. We are waiting and as we wait, we are anxiously involved in a good work. 
"Peace on earth and good will to all men". The Lord consoled us in the book of John, when we mourned the time of his crucifixion, his leaving of us. What will become of us? we said. He said be of good cheer, fear not, my peace I leave you, not the peace of this world." It is a perfect peace that surpasses the understanding of the world.           

No comments: