Monday, June 8, 2015

Do Right-Monday

Happy Monday everyone!!! Wow that weekend got up and left in a hurry didn’t it? My favorite day of the weekend is Sunday, because I have the opportunity to gather with many of my friends and worship. I love these moments because even when we leave the chapel we are still friends and family to one another. And then Monday comes, with another work day; another exercise in self restraint and good behavior. I have to say that work is the experiment that probably has many false positives when it comes to determining if a group of people, with little in common, and from various backgrounds and beliefs, can gather in an organized fashion? Can they occupy a space together and strive for the same goals with causing each other bodily harm?  It can be done, and it continues to be done, but it isn't easy. I sometimes wish that in my office we could just leave the “personal, knarly stuff” at home. I know that we do bring our own “lunch” daily, but if we can’t share our hearts in a peaceable manner and then receive the kindness offered, then we need to eat our lunch in the cafeteria.  Do you understand this frame of reference, like the Rock says “Do you smell what I am cooking?” HA HA.
So today I was drawn into a one sided argument with my boss, who seems to be under a lot of stress lately. Most of the time when I notice that she is not in a good mood; I only communicate by email, and try to avoid eye contact or any sudden moves. I failed today, and obviously said something that “ticked her off”. Maybe it was the joke that fell flat, or it could have been the flippant way I said it. Nonetheless, my boss had a terrible meltdown, which really wasn’t pretty. So I asked her what I had done to offend her, and she then dredged up a laundry list of past sins, many of which I asked forgiveness for and was granted absolution. I told her that I did not feel at all spiteful or mean against her, and in her current condition, I have really tried to be helpful. Ok, she is a drama queen, and I did not feel angry with her, only sorry that she was under such duress. She would not accept my apology, so I went back to my office and tried not to think bad thoughts. So my good friend Oprah sent a really nice message to help cheer me up. Seriously, Oprah and I are like this; long distance BFF’S.  This was a really thoughtful piece featuring the late Dr Maya Angelou, called “Just do Right”. It reminded me of a primary song called “Do what is right”.  




Dr Angelou was a wise woman, She is totally right, I know that I have the responsibility to be the better man (so to speak) These words from Nephi really put things in perspective for me.
2 Nephi 4:27-30  
27 And why should I yield to sin, because of my flesh? Yea, why should I give way to temptations, that the evil one have place in my heart to destroy my peace and afflict my soul? Why am I angry because of mine enemy?
 28 Awake, my soul! No longer droop in sin. Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul.
 29 Do not anger again because of mine enemies. Do not slacken my strength because of mine afflictions.
 30 Rejoice, O my heart, and cry unto the Lord, and say: O Lord, I will praise thee forever; yea, my soul will rejoice in thee, my God, and the rock of my salvation.

Words to live by, and also to set the tone for the rest of week. Regardless of what else may happen,I hope I can Be the Change I wish to see in the world or at least my office.

 Mormon Tabernacle Choir: Do what is Right

No comments: