Thursday, March 26, 2009

THE 24-HOUR KIT

So; I didn't finish the 24 hour kit, and my husband didn't want to bother with it. However, I will not be deterred. I started to look in my (dwindling) food pantry to find items in two's for the kit. My plan is to put at least 2 days of food servings (representing each meal) in the kit. I haven't figured out what will hold all of this stuff. Maybe a medium sized plastic bin. So far I have 2 cans of turkey, 2 cans of chili with beans,2 ramen noodle bowls, 2 boxes of crackers.( I asked my husband what flavor of crackers he wanted, wheat or butter flavor, he said Ritz.) I have 2 jars of peanut butter and grape jelly. I have two boxes of juice boxes. For breakfast I have compiled a baggie of 5-6 packs of instant grits, multiple flavors. (My husband hates grits,). Some hot chocolate and microwave popcorn. I am still wondering about the microwave popcorn. The premise of an Emergency Kit pertaining to food is anything that can be eaten with minimal prep. Not so much with the microwave popcorn. I have a lot of dry cereal,so I plan on "food-sealing" them in amounts of 1-2 cups per bag. They can be eaten dry or with a liquid. I also need to find a small stove (or stove like apparatus to boil water in).Maybe some water purification tablets. My next mission is to determine how much water to provide for, maybe a case of 12 or more bottles. (These kits will be for our vechicels.) I have make up a "mini" first aid kit, make copies of important documents. I digress over this. I thought about a flash drive, but then I remembered "Katrina". Even in floods and earthquakes, paper is best. I will laminate them. I have a Suze Orman survivial kit, that I have yet to use or figure out. Gotta start now.Don't forget at least 200.00 in paper money. Seriously? I can empty my change jar and total it and turn it into small bills. Welcome to the shrinking middle class. The last thing I need to gather up 2 days worth of clothing,an emergency blanket; auto emergency kit,etc.This is really getting bigger than I thought. After this, then a 72 hour kit for the house,a 24 hr kit for my work and overhauling my food storage, which should be at least 3 months with the goal of 1 year. The Sky is falling, the sky is falling. Good luck.

1 comment:

koshell said...

Procrastination is not really what I think a lot of us struggle with. I believe that if we are diligiently striving to do what we need to do and put prayerful ask for knowledge on priorities and help to do things in order, our projects become priority when the Lord wants us to do it. I have to emphasize that prayer and really knowing is the key because I know I can justify if I don't have the strength. Did I ask for the strength should be my question.

You are doing a great job with being prepared.
As I read your list of items I remember a 24 hour first aid kit and food packet, but in my disorganization, I don't know where I put it. I went searching a little, not too hard, and looked at the room I think it is in and sighed, shut the door and wished I could set a match to it but I would be sad to lose pictures, drawings, kids schoolwork and holiday decore. I have to find some way of putting it in order, since I have a friend coming April 14-19, need to find a place for her to sleep. When I find that list, I will share it with you. A backpack is a good thing for 24 or 72 hour kits, thinking about having to evacuate homes, due to gas leaks, water leaks etc. Plastic buckets are good for leak proof if they are not in direct contact with cement floor. Saturday's prepardness fair will give you some great ideas too.