Friday, March 27, 2009

THE 24 HR KIT...GROCERY SHOPPING

So, yesterday after work I stopped off at the grocery store to check out some items for the 24 hr kit, and the 72 hrs kit and maybe some food storage. Why is it called a kit? When I think of a kit I think of something small and compact that you can put in your bag and just add water or blow it up and poof its full size. Like Mcguiver. I digress. I went to Giant Foods to look for food. Its amazing how our options are slowly shrinking. Giant recently went through an overhaul of its merchandise. A lot of options, but not enough. I have noticed that "real" food is becoming a specialty item and all processed food rules,especially food cooked in microwave. What happens if the electricity goes out,can't do microwave popcorn thats for sure. I was looking for bread in a can. (Seriously). My boss told me about this dark bread in a can. I know what she is talking about, it used to be in the international foods section. The international section is limited to Asian foods, Mexican food and food for Passover.(I once saw a small display of foods native to Great Britian.) No canned breads. Maybe I will check out the Whole Foods Market. (This leads me to another tangent, I may have to do a road trip to visit different grocery stores in different counties). I have a suspicision that the farther away I go from the DC Metro area, the more choices in groceries I may have. I had a 20.00 budget, wow. I saw some packages of premade rice in a variety of flavors. Again this is a microwave product, but there is an option to put it in a pan and add a small amount of water and cook it old school. I told my husband about it and he had nothing positive to say about it. I may go back and get some anyway, it could go with the chili and beans. However the shelf life is short, and it is quite perishable. My husband suggests that we put raw rice in sealed baggies. I also found some microwaveable stuffing. I think with this you could just add some hot water and forgo the microwave. For less than 20.00 bucks and no list; I got 2 cans of B&M beans with bacon; 5 gallons of water; 4 cans of spaghetti and meatballs. Need snacks. I think I need a list. Now the goal of the 24 hr kit is to be used. Especially by my husband who is a tractor trailor driver. He could use this if he becomes stranded or can't get back from his run on time. I can use this at work. This weekend I attending Prepardness Fair sponsered by my church. Maybe this will help me. I am new to this prepardness thing. I used to be a "fly by the seat of my pants" kind of person. Not because I wanted to be this way, but it seems to be the way of the world."Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die...." I want to enjoy the journey. R.

No comments: