Wednesday, February 3, 2010

AFFIRMATIONS IN THE FACE OF OBSTACLES: Failure is not an Option

I borrowed this quote by Mother Teresa from a lovely blog I am currently following; "That Which Heals Me". How appropriate.We all need spiritual healing  in the face of daily frustrations. It is easy just to say, I give up, leave me alone, I'm not doing this anymore. Why am I wasting my time on people who are obviously not worthy to receive it. I love that our Heavenly Father is in tune with us and that when we do cry out to him in our own fashion, he does respond. I am sure that Mother Teresa has now come to her final rest and hopefully she is satisfied that she did do the work to which she was called to do by our Heavenly Father. She said that she received her calling while traveling on a train. She was told to help the poor, to go where they lived and live with them and be their advocate. She said that failure was not an option. I have been currently struggling with my attitude toward Visiting Teaching. My thought process is that we should be happy to have this responsibility. We should joy in this. When it starts to become like a job, then we need to step back and read the rules:  

John 21:15  So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
16He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
17He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

I wonder how can we feed sheep if they refuse to allow you to come near them. Don't they know that they need spiritual nourishment to survive? My first VT experience was shortly after I was baptized. I wondered why they would throw me into something that I had no knowledge or prior experience with, so soon. I had a really good companion and only one sister to meet with. I couldn't have asked for a better start. But, I don't think I appreciated it as much as I wish I had. This route was not without challenges, but in the long run it was a lot easier than what I have now. I was reassigned, even my companion was reassigned. I was at first given a sister who no one knew. I thought, how strange, I knew her. She wasn't as active as most, she basically dissappeared through the cracks. I was told that I would have to do this without a companion. That didn't sound right, even I know that "two are better than one". I was again reassigned and I was given a mother and daughter. The mother had recently been baptized. She seemed enthusiastic and motivated, but after a short time she lost her job after being hurt on the job. The daughter is a stay at home mom to 3 little ones. The husband was active in the church, but has also stopped coming. These 3 won't answer their phones, will not communicate freely, frequently give wrong phone numbers. I am worried about them and at the same time frustrated at their willingness to give up to fast. My last sister should be easy. She is a longtime churchmember, prominent; etc. I haven't been able to reach her. Since she was assigned to me, I saw her once, and afterward she was away for many months. My companion tests my patience. I sometimes want to go back to my 1st companion. She wasn't so bad afterall. What to do, what to do.Maybe its me. I expect too much, and hope too much. I just assume that everyone loves the Lord as much as I do. I assume that  everyone should be jumping at the chance to serve Him, I do. Then the Lord whispered; Here is my servant, Teresa. She has had many challenges and experiences that are similar to yours and yours will be similar to hers: Hear her:           

'People are often unreasonable, illogical and self-centered;forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies, succeed anyway.
What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight; build anyway
If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous; be happy anyway.
Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough; give the world the best you've got anyway.
You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and God;
It was never between you and them anyway" Mother Teresa

Obstacles, delays and mistakes will challenge you through life’s journey, explained Elder Neil L. Andersen, a member of the Quorum of Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
“Do not dismiss nor diminish the specific role and responsibility that has been given you,” Elder Andersen said. “You can shape who you become. You can be more than you are today, but you will always be you.”

In light of this good counsel, I will continue to do the best that I can do and not  worry too much it things don't look as they appear. I will continue to pray for my sisters, and ask Heavenly Father, What is thy will for me to do, here am I, send me. I will continue to pray for strength and courage. I will just do the best I can.
Psalms 17:5-6
5 Hold up my goings in thy paths, that my footsteps slip not.
6 I have called upon thee, for thou wilt hear me, O God: incline thine ear unto me, and hear my speech.

3 comments:

Alicia said...

This is such a great post. Thank you so much for your testimony. I too am having difficulty with my companion. I have decided to pray for her just as much as I pray for those I visit and teach. I go alone all the time because she always comes up with an excuse of why she can't come. I've decided to bring her treats and leave her notes just like the other sisters and maybe, just maybe she will come around. I've decide the face of failure is found in giving up and giving in and one never fails who keeps giving their best and doesn't give up.

Hey if you moved by me, I would love to have you for a companion in a heartbeat!!

Keep up the great work... it's by small and simple things that great things are brought to pass. ;)

RGG said...

Thanks for stopping by Alicia. I will pray for you too. I think that sometimes we want to do everything in a big way.We want everyone to jump on that wagon and sing with us. I am learning that maybe if we "wait".The scriptures say that those who wait on the Lord shall have their strength renewed (their faith restored). They shall mount up as if on eagles wings, they shall run an not be weary. The Apostle Paul encouraged us to be not weary in well doing.So good,pray without ceasing for your companion,and your sisters, I will too. The effectual fervernt prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
Have a great day
Ramona

Unknown said...

Hi again Ramona,
I saw this video yesterday and I thought you would like this too. It's "Scripture Power" time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLFeGEvzB_E