Thursday, February 4, 2010

SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION: HELEN KELLER; LDS AND FAITH

Who knew that Helen Keller had an affiliation with The Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints?
I didn't know that  Helen Keller would occupy my thoughts at this moment. My brother sent me a card; it was a random, generic type of card. It had a picture of water rushing over rocks;and blooming out from under the rock were some red flowers,and on it was a quote by HK; it said "The best way out is always through" (which was a quote from the poet Robert Frost,whose words I also quoted in a talk)I noticed that the card was sponsered by the Association for the Blind. I googled Helen Keller and this popped up.It shows a past president of the Church; President Heber Grant presenting a book of mormon translated in Braille to Helen Keller. Wow.
"The illness that struck the infant Helen Keller, and left her deaf and blind before she learned to speak, was diagnosed as brain fever at the time; perhaps it was scarlet fever. As Helen Keller grew from infancy into childhood she was wild and unruly, and had little real understanding of the world around her"

John 9:1 And Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.
2 And hid disciples asked him, saying Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born  blind
3 Jesus answered, neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.
Exodus 4:11 And the Lord said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? Have not I the Lord?
Moses 1:39 For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.

Helen Keller said: "After all faith is not one thing or two things. It is an indivisible totality of beliefs that inspire me; belief in God as infinite goodwill and all seeing wisdom; trust in my fellow man, wonder at their fundamental goodness; reverence for the beauty and preciousness of the earth and a sense of responsibility to do what I can to make it a habitation of health and plenty for all men; faith in immortality because it renders less bitter the separation from those I have loved and lost and because it wil free me from unnatural limitations and unfold still more faculties I have in joyous activity"  Helen Keller and Mother Teresa. Two great and noble spirits, who kept their first estate and paved the way for many.
  

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Wow I learned something new today. That's really cool Ramona!

I used to have a quote by Helen Keller on my wall in my bedroom as a teenager, it read, "Keep your face to the Sunshine and you cannot see the shadow".

Thanks for sharing!

May the Lord bless you.