Wednesday, April 7, 2010

GOOD HAIR DAY

kelly rae roberts
GOD AT THE HAIRCUTTERY

D&C 29:25 And not one hair, neither mote, shall be lost, for it is the workmanship of mine hand
So, last Saturday (before Easter), I got my hair cut. It has taken me since last Dec to finally come to this decision and face my longtime hairdresser. The lady who does my hair is probably the oldest friend I have in Md. I became her customer her first week at the HC. Lately I must say that the  love/ hate relationship I have with my hair has taken a toll, both physically ,(with my hair so stressed, its actually falling out), and emotionally. I still look in the mirror and search for the super model. I have always aspired to have bouncing and behaving hair. For the last two years I have worn it as long as it would grow, which is slightly below my neck. That gig seems to be up, because lately it wants to break out and frizz out and (horrors) sprout some gray tendrils. So I got up bright and early Saturday so that I could be the first to sign up. I wasn't, I was 3 people down. No worry, Angela has a weird system. If you go first, you are the very last to leave,if you come somewhere in the middle, you might get out of there in 2 hrs or less. So she saw me and waved me back. I should have put a bag on my head, but to her credit she didn't scream in horror. So I sat in the chair and immediately started babbling about the condition of my hair. Please,I said , just cut it all off. The stress has taken its toll. I apologize for the mess that is my hair. I couldn't even look in the mirror. She started laughing at me and asked me if I really wanted to cut it all off. I said that yes, I don't deserve good hair. She laughed again and rubbed my shoulders. Look she said, we can cut it medium and we can cover the (horrible) gray tendrils.It will be fine, don't worry. And just like that, she took the stress away. Poof, the next thing I knew the shampoo girl was massaging my scalp with some fruity shampoo stuff and Angela brought out some hair swatches with my soon to be new color. I didn't even mind the dryer ( a phobia of mine). I felt like the ladies on the show "What Not to Wear" when they are in the "Chair", turned away from the mirror. After Angela finished her magic, I looked in the mirror and I didn't turn away in horror. I saw a face, and a hairstyle that I hadn't seen in a while. I saw the cute person I used to know and she smiled back at me. I thanked Angela profusely. She recommended some products for me and hugged me goodbye. She didn't make me feel bad for not taking care of my hair, she just loved me.
I thought about this later, and I realized that this is how our Heavenly Fathers interacts with us. We are his children and even though we may struggle through epic trials of finances and health and what have you, we still struggle with the little things. Maybe it seems vain to stress over my hair ,but Heavenly Father thought otherwise. Angela has been struggling lately with her own personal issues and usually when I come to see her, I really have to help her focus on doing a good job on my hair. She is usually distracted and depressed.
On Saturday, she was 100 percent, and seemed to be the Angela of the old days. God worked on us both. She was able to be nurturing to me and help me not to feel bad about my hair. I love my haircut and I am praying for the strength to care for it and myself.

Luke: 21:18 But there shall not an hair on your head perish
Alma 40:23 The soul shall be restored to the body, and body to the soul; yea and every limb and joint shall be restored to its body, yea evan a hair of the head shall not be lost; but all things shall be restored to their proper and perfect frame.
Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.   

Angela and Me

No comments: