Friday, March 23, 2012

BLOGGING FOR GOOD

Finally it's Friday, and what a week it has been. I started last Friday with an invitation to you my blog patrol to join me in participating in 170 acts of service, charity and kindness. I have been inspired by the Spirit to read my scriptures and ponder over these things. I have continued in my own experience of "a mighty change of heart". 
OK so I am going to put  on my Goody 2-shoes on at this moment. Here's what I have been thinking, about this blog and it's purpose. Someone asked me what did the title of my blog "The 72Hour Rule" mean?
 I chose this title because of my ongoing learning process of "Preparedness" according to the guidelines of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints. My lofty goal was to have a year of stored provisions, pay down my debt, grow a garden, make my own clothes, etc. But in the end, and even now, 3 years after I started, I  still only have a 72 hour's kit worth of provisions, still working on the debt, and the garden is still a dream. But what I have come away with is that for now, the "72 Hour Kit" is more than enough to provide for my family's need at the present. At times during trials, everything was empty, except for those provisions and not only for me and my husband, but to share with our neighbors who were having hard times also. Another question was asked of me was "What is the inspiration for the topic's I write, and how hard is it to organize my thoughts. So my answer to that is ongoing. Once I settled on a theme for this blog, which is based on my own continuing testimony of the gospel in my life, I found that I was literally "led" to subjects. I have found a community of women, some LDS, and not ,who have really great blogs, with all the bells and whistles. I have a steep learning curve with bells and whistles, so I decided and desired to learn and know and then share some of blessings I have received .Sometimes I have been inspired to write about a word or principle such as "Language". I was inspired to write about the Tower of Babel and how "language" or "tongues" plays a part in our relationship with Heavenly Father. I have my own personal hero's and 2 of them happen to be past and present Relief Society Presidents. Emma Smith and Julie B. Beck.

I love Emma Smith because she had such a strong spirit, that she was not an ordinary person, she never gave up on her husband Joseph Smith, and her righteous desires inspire me to continue on in my journey. So I was reading in the book "Daughters of My Kingdom" a quote from her.
EMMA SMITH

"I desire the Spirit of God to know and understand myself, that I might be able to overcome whatever of tradition or nature that would not tend to my exaltation in the eternal worlds. I desire a fruitful, active mind,that I may be able to comprehend the designs of God, when revealed through His servants without doubtingLetter to Joseph Smith, 1844, Church Library   
Emma wrote this letter to Joseph, a request from him to her, to prepare for a blessing that when he was eventually let out of jail, he would have bestowed upon her. He wanted her to ponder in her heart, her own personal and spiritual desires and write them down and pray over them. What I can take from her request is a desire of the Spirit of God to know and understand myself, which I feel that blogging has helped me to do.

Sister Julie B Beck is a person I admire also for her strong spirit and faith and commitment in what she is doing. I found a clip (below) to share. The title of this clip is "Good Blogging" where she is being interviewed and she is asked to share her opinions of blogs by women in the church. I was surprised at what she said, and that what she said seemed to validate what I am trying to do in this blog. By the mouth of 2 witnesses.. 

mormonchannel.org

My continuing goal is share my thoughts with you; some grea A-HA! moments,funny stories; and maybe some bells and whistles. I hope that you (I know who you all are) will join me, share my blog, write me and let me know your thoughts. I challenge you to ask questions, so that I can strive harder to find answers. Next week I will have more of the 170 service challenges, and guess what April is National Volunteer Month.   
xoxoxo

1 comment:

Heather@Women in the Scriptures said...

These are two of my heroes too, which is probably why we are friends:) thank you so much for linking up to emmas celebration.