Tuesday, May 8, 2012

ARE YOU BEING SERVED?


D&C 88:120; 124
120 That your in comings may be in the name of the Lord; that your outgoings may be in the name of the Lord; that all your salutations may be in the name of the Lord, with uplifted hands unto the Most High.
124 Cease to be idle; cease to be unclean; cease to find fault one with another; cease to sleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and your minds may be invigorated.
So today, like most days, I started with good intentions and ended with me running late for work. I am not a morning person, but because of my chosen occupation, I have had to condition myself to rise very early in the morning, “Zero Dark thirty” as we would say in the military. Lately, I really dread getting up in the morning and I suppose I have conditioned myself to feed into that dread and then allow it to rob me of what has the potential to be a day of promise and blessings and just a good day overall.

My day typically starts at 0430 a.m., unless I push the snooze button, and ignore my husband’s wake up call to me. I end up snoozing until 5:30 and end up leaving the house until 6:30, which is too late. So this morning as I was again late, I had to scold myself. I feel that being chronically late does not serve anyone, not even me. And I thought about it, and I realize that I am not being served, and because I am not being served, I am slack in my own opportunities to serve the brethren and Heavenly Father. In a word, I am practicing a form of disobedience that condemns me daily. Now don’t think that my not being served is to be seen as a “selfish” lament, it is not. We must serve or prepare ourselves fully, in order to be the prepared servant the Lord wants us to be.

How can I serve myself or rather prepare myself to serve each day?

1 Get a good night’s sleep.  Is getting a good night’s sleep only falling into bed at night after a long day? Nope, there has to be some prep time before we go to bed. I’m not talking about a bubble bath or soothing music. (Although these can play a part)
For me, to prepare myself for the next day, I want to seek the Lord in prayer for good counsel. At times I miss my nightly prayer and put it off till the morning, but then I am running late, so no prayer.
Next, I want to stop all of the busyness of the present day, at least 1-2 hours before bed. Now this works for me, because my husband works nights, so I don’t have to prepare dinner when I come home. But wait what about my dinner?  I feel I am suffering from malnutrition, because I don’t take the time to prepare a meal, not only for myself, but I am sure my husband would be blessed to eat a small meal, and share conversation, before he goes to work.
So a small meal with my husband will bless and nurture us both.
3 Turn off the TV, or computer, etc and read my scriptures. I know this will help me in my future Primary lessons, temple visits, etc.
4 And last, I have to ensure that my clothes are ready, my purse is ready, and the car is gassed, etc.I find that all of these “event’s” take away precious time in the morning.

PROVERBS 3:6-76 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the Lord, and depart from evil.
 8 It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones.
And now I can go to bed
Doctrine & Covenants 88:124
124 Cease to be idle; cease to be unclean; cease to find fault one with another; cease to sleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and your minds may be invigorated.
What does it mean to be Idle? The Hebrew translation is Raphah
  1. to sink, relax, sink down, let drop, be disheartened
    1. (Qal)
      1. to sink down
      2. to sink, drop
      3. to sink, relax, abate
      4. to relax, withdraw
    2. (Niphal) idle (participle)
    3. (Piel) to let drop
    4. (Hiphil)
      1. to let drop, abandon, relax, refrain, forsake
      2. to let go
      3. to refrain, let alone
      4. to be quiet
    5. (Hithpael) to show oneself slack  Old Testament Hebrew Lexicon
I love the last definition: to show oneself slack.
Proverbs 10:4-5
4 He who has a slack hand becomes poor, but the hand of the diligent makes rich
5 He who gathers in summer is a wise son; he who sleeps in harvest is a son who causes shame.
Wow I love the way D&C 88:124 details the “cycle” of idleness. Because, whether I want to admit it or not, I am practicing a form of idleness that starts the night before when I blow off preparing for the next day. I am idle, when I go to bed late, putting off my prayers. I am really remiss when the clock buzzes and I continue to push the snooze button. I have to ask myself if this will allow me to have more energy by sneaking in a few more minutes of “rest”. Not really, I end up cranky. And that crankiness can lead to me having a bad attitude at work, or lack of patience when driving to work. It’s an endless cycle isn’t it?  

I anticipate that it will take diligence for me to meet every requirement, but I want to succeed. I feel that the end result will enable me to be a better wife; seeking the goal of the “virtueous wife. I feel that I will have the concentration and the energy to plan my lessons in Primary better, and even enjoy my book of Mormon study group. (I tend to fall asleep in class, but not because it’s boring) I hope to be able to plan and organize the affairs of my home, cook good meals, and organize my food storage to help make that happen. I also feel that I will become closer to Heavenly Father which is what I want to do most.    

No comments: