Monday, July 23, 2012

GOING THE EXTRA MILE

Matthew 5:41 And whomsoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
So the last two "The Life of Jesus" bible videos feature the record in Matthew 5, known as the blessing or beatitude's. I am intrigued by this verse, concerning going the extra mile. It's so "modern" in it's context. I wondered how I could demonstrate this to someone in need.
This past weekend my husband and I prepared dinner for our Missionary's. The conversation centered on having the courage to "be a witness for Christ." I told them about my co-worker who has on occasion asked me about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, but more than that he has wanted to know more about the Savior and about the truth of the scriptures. I have invited him to a Fireside at the Visitors center, even to come to sacrament with me. I have had opportunities to do this with a few other friends. One friend drove almost to the church, but turned around. Maybe I should I have gone to pick her up. So the Missionary's asked if I were disappointed that my friends did not come to church. I thought about it and I said no I am not. They were surprised because they felt that these people were not "exercising" a measure of faith. But I believe that they are. I know that these people are seeking. I said, you can't give up on someone who is taking baby steps. We must pray for them and in praying for them, lift them up.


1 Nephi 10:19 For he that diligently seeketh shall find, and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them by the power of the Holy Ghost, as well in these times as in times of old, and as well in times of old, and as well in times to come;wherefore, the course of the Lord is one eternal round.
We are all traveling on that strait and narrow path that will lead us to the Savior. We are hanging on for dear life to that iron rod, and there are many others who are struggling just trying to find that road. We could be a street sign.
1 Nephi 8:21;24
21 And I saw numberless concourses of people, many of whom were pressing forward, that they might obtain the path which led unto the tree by which I stood.
24: And it came to pass that I beheld others pressing forward, and they came forth and caught hold of the end of rod of iron; and they did press forward through the mist of darkness, clinging to the rod of iron, even until they did come forth and partake of the fruit of the tree.
 I thought about this a lot. I am praying for my friends daily. I want them to find the desire of their hearts. They may decide not to join this church, but if the church leads you to Christ, then what ever I can do as a member that will help them to "walk that extra mile", then I will do my best.

No comments: